It’s official- the year 2022 has begun. Just like the start of any new year, I imagine that many of us have made new year’s resolutions for ourselves. These resolutions most likely consist of goals we hope to achieve, passions we want to finally pursue, or bad habits we strive to quit. Despite beginning the year with high hopes, many find themselves failing to achieve these goals or find themselves too busy to pursue their passions and find themselves falling into the old habits they desperately tried to kick. Many have completely abandoned the new year’s resolutions they made as the clock stuck midnight come the end of the year. In fact, studies show that only 35% of people keep their new year resolution throughout the year. There are several reasons why these resolutions are not kept. One of the major reasons for failure is lack of motivation. Being motivated is something that everyone should strive for as the benefits are numerous. Motivation provides you with goals to work toward. It aids you in solving problems and changing old habits. It also helps you to cope with changes and embrace new opportunities. In order to stay motivated we must first examine and answer several questions regarding motivation.
• First, why do people lose motivation?
• They become stressed or overwhelmed
• They are in an un-supportive environment
• They become impatient
• They experience negative self-talk
You may experience any of these things, but I have news for you! You can overcome all of them. Here’s how. If you begin to feel overwhelmed, take a step back. Take a minute for self-care. This can increase energy and motivation! If you find yourself in an un-supportive environment, change it. Find an environment that is going to support you and your goals. If you become impatient, remember goals take time and commitment. Don’t give up and remember no negative self-talk. Talk positively!
Second, how do you get motivated?
• Set yourself one specific, achievable goal. Make sure that the goals you make for yourself are realistic and attainable.
• Think about how to include that goal in your life. Implement changes in your everyday life that will help you achieve your goal.
• Break your goal into small, easy tasks. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. The same concept can be applied here.
• Use your family and friends as support. Tell your friends and family about your goals. This can help them to encourage you to get motivated.
Finally, how do you stay motivated?
• Keep track of your progress. It’s important to see the milestones you’ve reached.
• Surround yourself with positive people. Positive people make for a positive and supportive environment.
• Continue to set new goals. Think about what you want to achieve next week, next month and next year. Tackle one goal at a time so you don’t feel overwhelmed.
• Set a routine. This will allow you to keep momentum and your goals will become automatic over time.
Now with your ability to pinpoint the sources that cause loss of motivation and your newfound knowledge about getting and staying motivated, go achieve your goals, pursue your passions, and quit your bad habits!